ARE YOU A SKEPTIC???...Do You Question The Motives Of Almost Everyone You Come Across?
I AM, AND I DO!!!......and I am proud of it!
Recently, I was challenged by a business acquaintance with the idea that if I was going to question someone about their intentions when it came to volunteering to do an open house for me, then I didn't deserve to get their help!
"We are independent contractors! Just let him do the open house!"....was the statement from this business aquaintance.
I was simply asking the volunteer what he wanted to gain from doing an open house for me on a big listing--hoping to hear something like: "Hey-I want to get a bunch of potential buyers--a list of names that I can farm and cajole into buying this listing." That's what I was hoping for and instead I got a cold shrug of the shoulders--" I guess I might as well do an open house for a big listing than a little one".....
I was put off by that response--it was uninspired and lacked the prospecting attitude that I expected. So, I told him I would do the open house and he could help. I needed to feel that the house would be properly shown and represented and with an attitude like the one he had, I was doubtful I would get good results!
That is just one little example of what my skepticism does for me--It keeps me on my toes! It makes me expect more and therefore demand more from those whom I work with--both co-workers and clients!
I want to keep my reasoned consideration about things; I want to have an attitude of doubt about someone until I am certain they are going to perform at a very high level with regard to buying a house, selling their home or even handling one of my listings.
IS THERE ANYTHING WRONG WITH QUESTIONS???...I think not! I AM a skeptic and I am proud of it! In my opinion, there are not enough of us out there!
Some of the other things I am very skeptical about:
- I am doubtful that a good result can be achieved when NOT getting a high degree of commitment from those with whom I put my trust.
- I am very concerned when I have a homeowner who does not want to allow me to put a sign on his property, especially when it is my exclusive! How serious are they???
- It concerns me when I have a buyer, actively looking for a home, who does not get pre-approved before we begin to look for a house....may not even be intentional--just careless and uninformed!
- I get really doubtful when a homeowner says: "I will list the house with you for 3 months and THEN we can extend the agreement"..leaving me with no time for serious marketing before the listing ends!
- As far as the renewal thing--I have learned the hard way that the intention of a homeowner who promises to re-list in this market after 6 months of my heavy marketing campaigns is very dubious indeed!....Get the 8 month or 1 year agreement UP FRONT if you are investing lots of time and money in marketing!
I am finding myself more and more skeptical in this very difficult profession! ...As a result, I have taken the position that unless my requirements of buyers, sellers and co-workers are not met, I will not put any time into the process.
I pick my "Time and Money Spent" (TMS) on very carefully scrutinized clients and co-workers. I don't need to "settle" when it comes to my high standards and expectations...If they can't be met--I say "Hit the road"!
AS far as those who call me a "SKEPTIC"...I say: "YOU BET I AM, AND I AM VERY PROUD OF IT!"
HOW ABOUT YOU???...Are You A Skeptic? Please share some of your experiences where being "SKEPTICAL" has paid off.
This post is a submission to the ActiveRain / Adobe EchoSign Trust Contest. I could possibly win a prize. You can find out about the contest by clicking here
**ALL INFORMATION AND CONTENT IN THIS BLOG IS ORIGINAL TO PAULA I. HATHAWAY. The views expressed herein are my personal views and do not reflect the views of Douglas Elliman Real Estate
Paula I. Hathaway, Senior Broker Associate, Douglas Elliman Real Estate
Southamtpon Village Real Estate Specialist since 1995; Also Specializes in North Sea, Noyac, Water Mill and Bridgehampton, New York
Diamond , Gold and Chairman's Circle Awards; Top Producer since 2005
Click here to see my Hampton's website to see all my listings; please email me or call me for all your real estate needs in Southampton, Bridgehampton and Watermill: http://www.elliman.com/paulahathaway
MY REAL ESTATE SHOWS: