LOOKING INTO THE FUTURE IS FASCINATING...Try It; You Might Like It! Back in December 2011, I made a risky decision to look into the future to see what may be in store for us in the years to come. We were still in the midst of the morass of the real estate downturn and many of us were not sure where we were going or if we were going to remain in the real estate business much longer. The environment made me and many others very nervous and in fact, we became frozen in time.....
It seemed as if years went by without any movement except the loss felt by so many homeowners as property values sank ever further into the abyss.
At that time I thought it would be interesting to see what I could come up with in terms of future prognostications, letting my hair down and just freely thinking out-of-the- box!
Below is the post that is a result of my need to project out beyond the pain and suffering of the day. Many of the ideas that surfaced amaze me as I re-read them now. WHAT DO YOU THINK???
FUN TIME-TRAVEL FOR 2011 AND BEYOND....Do You Know What Is Coming? December 31, 2010 10:44 am
Thinking outside-the-box is necessary in today's world. It is becoming more and more reasonable that un-reasonable things will happen in the near future:
- What would happen if the Wiki-Leaks leaks told us that a government other than ours has taken control of our entire Nuclear Stock Pile?
- What would happen if the real estate profession decided to HIRE their agents rather than sponsor them and decided on a non-commission income for them?
- What would happen if Big Banks suddenly took the "Value Adjustment" method to home mortgages and began adjusting existing mortgage amounts to reflect the new value.
- What would happen if it became essential to grow your own produce to fight high food costs?
- What would happen if we, as a nation, decided we did not want a Democrat or Republican party anymore?
- What would happen if the next few decades were just like the last two years....if the recession continued for that long?
- What would happen if we found out that cancer and other deadly maladies were caused by our attitude?
- What would happen if the world decided that there was not going to be any more sharing of natural resources?
- What would happen if we found out that we had been invaded by Aliens long ago (like a century ago) and have become very comfortable with them?
- What would happen if we found out that "plastics" is suddenly known to be a poison, much like the "Glow-in-the-dark" watch faces that were popular and then found to be poisonous and thus prohibited in the early 20th century?
- What would happen if, overnight, we needed to start using glass again as a replacement for all the poisonous plastics.
- What would happen if society suddenly stopped buying anything.....Including food because "we grow our own now"?
- What would happen if the Internet became a place where controls and regulations dictate your use of it while fees become the newest way to gain revenue from each user?
- What would happen if the average life-span became 100 overnight and money became even more scarce for the elderly?
- What would happen if life altering discoveries or challenges became the order of the day??? How would we re-act? What would we do? Highly unlikely, you say??? Think again....things are constantly changing!
CAN YOU COME UP WITH YOUR OWN "WHAT IFS?"? TRY IT AND SEE WHAT KIND OF THINKING COMES OF IT.....We are all creatures of habit and it may not be too long before we have to think differently and maybe even live differently---not a bad idea to give it some thought, right???
WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF........? Let's see who comes up with the next new thing to come about.....I welcome your input!
**ALL INFORMATION AND CONTENT IN THIS BLOG IS ORIGINAL TO PAULA I. HATHAWAY. The views expressed herein are my personal views and do not reflect the views of Douglas Elliman Real Estate
Paula I. Hathaway, Senior Broker Associate, Douglas Elliman Real Estate
Southamtpon Village Real Estate Specialist since 1995; Also Specializes in North Sea, Noyac, Water Mill and Bridgehampton, New York
Diamond , Gold and Chairman's Circle Awards; Top Producer since 2005
Click here to see my Hampton's website to see all my listings; please email me or call me for all your real estate needs in Southampton, Bridgehampton and Watermill: http://www.elliman.com/paulahathaway
MY REAL ESTATE SHOWS: